Thursday 27 October 2011

The Oxford Exchange


What do you get when 20,000 students come to Oxford from around the world? Well in the first couple of weeks, of course you have your stimulating political conversations, raucous parties, amusing cultural barriers/misunderstandings, etc. But the most significant annual tradition is Fresher’s Flu- a virulent epidemic that sweeps through the student body like a fire in a hayfield. Some theorize that it is spread through the dining halls, sharing drinks at parties or just a bit too much free romance but the severity is undeniable. Historians say that during the Columbian Exchange in North America, the introduction of European diseases decimated the native populations, killing fifty to ninety percent of the population in a matter of years. Well in the Oxford Exchange those percentages sound about right- everyone I know has been driven to their bed or is part of the walking-wounded who are struggling through class and spreading the virus even further afield.

Normally, I have an impermeable immune system. I haven’t spent a day in bed in years and almost never spike a fever. But Fresher’s Flu caught me too. Last week I started with a scratchy throat, then a stuffy nose, then the runny nose, etc. I thought the symptoms were just running their course and true to form, I just pushed through. Rest is for the weak. But by dinner time  on Monday I could tell I had spiked a fever. Still, I had a rowing session and water polo back to back and have always been taught that missing practice for a team sport is not acceptable unless you are so sick you plan on visiting a hospital. So I went to the erg workout and raced off to water polo, where we had the full pool for scrimmaging for the first time since school started. So of course I yelled me head off to call out positions, tell players to release for the ball, etc. And then there was the late night dash to finish a paper. Tuesday rolled around and I had no voice. The fever broke but I seem to be cycling back through all the symptoms again. As of Thursday, I think I am finally on the mend but let this be a lesson to me. My California immune system cannot operate at fully capacity in the suboptimal conditions of Oxford- excessive amounts of mayonnaise and potatoes with an insufficient amount of fresh produce and lean meat seems to be taking its toll. Looks like I will need to request some Vitamin C in the next care package. 

1 comment: