Thursday 24 November 2011

Thanksgiving in Oxford

A few years ago a group of American Rhodies decided to host their own Thanksgiving feast here in Oxford. What started as twenty students has now grown to over a hundred, and not just Americans but scholars from all over the world who gather to share in our celebration. Many of us were at the rowing regatta all afternoon but a group got together and made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc. It perfectly captured the taste of Thanksgiving, although I must admit that I missed the long hours in the kitchen chopping lettuce and onions, peeling the potatoes and mixing the gravy. And while, I love that Thanksgiving is a day that focuses on family, it was wonderful to spend the evening with the Rhodes family. It reminds me how much I have to be thankful for and how easy it is to take my blessings for granted. Of course there are the usual family, health, subsistence needs, etc to be thankful for. But despite the fact that I often struggle to come up with interesting blog posts, every day here in Oxford is a unique privilege. I spent all morning writing a paper on research methods that will be reviewed by some of the leading thinkers in the field of International Relations, I spent all afternoon in a huge boathouse built just for the couple dozen St. John’s students who chose to row each year and I spent the evening in the great hall at Rhodes house listening to a talk from the highest ranking female officer in the US Air Force and chatting with friends, whom I met through one of the world’s most sought after scholarships. So while I may lament the daily vexations of the British banking system, an excessive reading load and the exorbitant prices in Oxford, I could hardly be more blessed.

And while we are on the subject of Rhodes House, I should note that the new class of American Rhodes scholars was announced this week. It’s a good chance to emphasize the exceptional company I keep, the humbling experience of being surrounded by people who are more intelligent and more accomplished, and a source of hope for the future. I’m inspired by reading about a group of young leaders who are tackling the world’s toughest problems and making a discernable difference in issues as diverse as water security, cancer and human trafficking. It’s a call for all of us to think about the unique talents that we can leverage and the areas where we can make a difference in our corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment